Saturday, July 19, 2008

Why do celebrities annoy me.


Everyday “celebrities” are forced upon us via newspapers, magazines, television, and internet. I realize many people have nothing to do with their time and have the luxury of spending their days wondering what celebrities are doing, but for most working class people having these celebrities forced upon us is a nuisance which ills me. I have always questioned the obsession of people with others whom they don’t even know. I have never met Britney spears, Jessica Simpson, Amy Winehouse, or any of these rich young and beautiful people, and if i did i wouldn’t know what to say to them anyway, so i don’t even look forward to the meeting.

I read the newspaper often, and i see America is facing some difficult times, and perhaps the time for obsessing over celebrities needs to come to an end, if not for ever at least till we get our house in order. Celebrities are for when times are good and enjoyment abounds. But with food cost close to all time highs, gas prices through the roof. How can the media overwhelm us with these mindless celebrity write ups? Shouldn’t they be devoting this space to finding solutions for the problems we are facing. Reading about Amy Winehouse isn’t going to make gas appear in my cars tank, but she may leave a diaper in my car, and Britney Spears isn’t going to feed me lunch. It’s obvious the powers that be don’t want us to focus on the important issues, but rather on celebrities problems or windfalls. Can you say, distraction, till we are defeated in our sleep. Kill your idols people, before they kill you.


No comments: